National - History of HFMA
The American Association of Hospital Accountants (AAHA) was formed in 1946 with the first chapter forming in Illinois and the first official Journal was published. Incorporated as a non-profit association, AAHA established a national office in Chicago with one full-time employee.
Nationally, membership included 58 chapters and 3,200 members. The Arizona Chapter received its charter on August 3, 1959 and the first president was William Smith Wrigley. In the 1960's a Code of Ethics was adopted and the Educational Foundation was formed. The AAHA changes its name to the Hospital Financial Management Association (HFMA). National membership approached 9,000 members and includes 61 chapters. The first salaried president was hired in the 1970's and the Principles and Practices Board was established. Membership totaled over 18,000, the records became computerized and three new chapters were established.
The National office was relocated to Westchester, Illinois in the 1980's and the first seminar was held in the United Kingdom. In 1982, the name was changed to the name that is used today - Healthcare Financial Management Association.